Belle Fourche, SD

Rezoning Amendments

Rezoning Amendments allow an owner of a property within city limits to change the existing zoning district of said property to a different zoning district. The new zoning district of the property must be an already-existing zoning district within the City of Belle Fourche. 
Advertisements and Signs:
Rezoning Amendments are required to be advertised two (2) separate times in the Black Hills Pioneer Newspaper as legal public notices - the first notice advertising for a public hearing at the corresponding Planning & Zoning meeting, and the second notice advertising for a public hearing at the corresponding City Council meeting. The Engineering Department will provide the owner/applicant dates and times of the Planning & Zoning meeting and corresponding City Council meetings. 
The owners/applicant are required to place a metal sign, issued by the Engineering Department, on the property where it can be seen from the street beginning the day the first public notice is advertised. The sign must be returned to the Engineering Department after the corresponding City Council meeting. 
Rezoning Amendment fee: $300.00
Sign Deposit fee: $100.00
The payments must be separate checks.
**the sign deposit will be held at the Engineering Department office until the sign is returned**
Below is the procedure to begin and complete a Rezoning Amendment:
  1. The owner/applicant of a Belle Fourche property schedule an appointment with the City Engineers to discuss and request the Rezoning Amendment.
  2. After discussion, the City Engineers will either encourage or discourage the Rezoning Amendment. If they encourage it, they believe the amendment is reasonable and fits within the requirements so that when they propose it to the Planning & Zoning Commission, the amendment will pass and thus be proposed to the City Council for a final vote. If they discourage it, they believe the amendment is in some way unreasonable and does not fit within the requirements so that when they propose it to the Planning & Zoning Commission, the amendment will not pass. If they do not encourage it, the City Engineers will explain either what changes would need to be made to the request, or why they believe it cannot be done at all. 
  3. If the engineers encourage the Rezoning Amendment, the Engineering Department will draft a Rezoning Amendment Petition (see Petition Template at the bottom of this page). The owners must provide the complete and accurate legal description of the property in question and all of the legal owners must sign the petition in order for the amendment  to be proposed to the Planning & Zoning Commission. The owners must have their signatures notarized by a Public Notary for the document to be considered authentic. (The Engineering Administrative Assistant is a Public Notary - please see the Engineering Department office hours for availability.)
  4. Once the correct legal description and signatures are on the petition, the Engineering Department will collect payment for the Rezoning Amendment and corresponding Sign Deposit (see costs above). The Engineering Department will put the amendment request on the next available Planning & Zoning agenda. (Please check the "Submission Dates for Planning & Zoning" link for agenda deadlines.) The Engineering Department will then issue the designated metal sign to the owner/applicant and provide instruction for the sign placement and provide the dates and times of the advertisements, Planning & Zoning meeting, and corresponding City Council meeting. ***Owners are not required to attend either meeting, but are encouraged to do so in case of any questions, concerns or requests of clarification ***
  5. Once the Rezoning Amendment passes through both Planning & Zoning and City Council, the applicant must return the issued sign to the Engineering Department in order to be given their sign deposit check back.
If you have any questions, or would like more information, please feel free to contact us.